Glimpses of...August 28-September 3

Grow outs out on grass.  They are getting big.
I designed and built these tractors...with the help of my family and lots of Pinterest searching.  They have turned out remarkably well.  Easy to move.  My children can do all the chores with the rabbits without my help.

Harvesting Plantain seeds.
Plantain is a very nutritious herb that basically grows everywhere.  I used it this summer when I was stung by a wasp.  I found a plant, picked a leaf, chewed it a little and applied it to where I was stung.  The top of my ear, of all places.  It took the pain away immediately and I had zero swelling.  It is also a fantastic food for rabbits and goats and chickens!  Everything, really.  

A little egg from some of this years hatchlings!
Now that the chicks are all growing up, I'm going to start to get even MORE eggs.  We are trying to train them to ONLY lay in the coop.  We shall see if we are successful.  I highly doubt it.  

So cute!  
The rabbits are growing so well.  I can't believe how quickly.  I can't believe how much they eat!  We are experimenting with feed so we can save some money.  They grow quickest on just rabbit pellets BUT that is not local to me nor sustainable.  They LOVE willow.  I'm planting about 50 new willow trees this fall.  The willow will become a staple for the rabbits while it is growing, and if I can figure out storage, we will make tree hay for them, too.  Dry it for winter eating.

After protecting the farm all night, she gets a nice nap!
 We have fox.  They have taken many of our chickens.  My heart is broken over the loss and that I simply can not out smart a fox.  We have new plans in place.  Pray for us and the birds.  I an thinking I would love a fox pelt.

Our first pick from the garden!
So many weeds every year.  We can not keep up.  I will be using ground cover/weed barrier next year.    BUT, these grew with all the crap that 2020 has offered us so I am saving the seed from them.  Those are genetics worth saving!

Can you ever really have too many birds?
With all the highs and lows of farm life, it can be very easy to stress out and become overwhelmed.  In any place you live and work, actually.  I want to implore you to take the time to enjoy some of the good moments and to really explore ALL of your feelings.  Life is short.  Learn the lessons God has for you, and more on.

Comments