Farm Life Update

So much has happened here on the farm!  Too much to tell it all...so I will tell some!

Puppy Love!!


As you saw from previous posts...we have a beautiful little huge puppy!  She is growing like mad!!  



About one month after the first photo.  Look at those paws!!



Kitten Love!!


We also got ourselves a few kitten/rodent killers.  They are doing so well!  Haven’t seen a single sign of a rodent since we put them in the garage.  





Chickens Love!!


It has been a long winter for the girls.  It started out nice but we had a cold snap that had our day time highs at -28*C and lows going to -38*C...-45*C with the wind chill.  

A few weeks at those temps and you almost want to give up!  

The chickens, and ducks, did not go out of their coop for weeks!  

All of the chickens are showing signs of frost bite.  We are so sad for them but we haven’t lost a single chicken to the cold.  They are looking well and strong and more feathers than they have ever had!  

But dirty!!  Oh my they all needed a bath!  

So today, the temperature got up to +3*C, we let them out of the coop and run so they could free range.  Took them less than 3 minutes to all make it over the their favourite dust bath spot! 

Duck Love!!


Like I mentioned earlier, it has been bitterly cold.  The ducks don’t seem to mind the cold like the chickens.  Not quite so hard on them.  Still, they had no desire to leave the coop!!

They are so filthy, as well!!  

They took a different kind of bath.  This one involves water.  They are so happy and clean!  I love to watch them wagging their tails in delight!    

They are hitting reproduction age, now.  Soon, we will have little ducklings wandering the farm again!  I can’t wait!


Coming Up On the Farm!!


Oh my!  Do I have ideas and plans!!  

I am about to make my seed order from MiGardener.  First time ordering from them but the seeds are heirloom and some are organic.  So much selection and the packets have more seeds than I have ever seen from another company.  AND each packet of seeds is $1.00 US!!

                   !!??!!  Right  !!??!!

I don’t even have a plot of earth dug up yet but I am ordering so many seeds!!  I. Can. Not. Wait!!

I’m picking up a few more girl ducks, and one boy, from a friend and giving her one of my boys.  Trying to diversify the genetic pool, here...and there.

We also need to get our figurative ducks in a row before we get more chicks this spring.  I’m planning to get a breed that can forage better...not quiet as dumb as our last broilers.  Chicks that, once mature, can reproduce and go broody and hatch their own eggs.  So we can butcher 10 at a time, instead of 70!

I have more ideas but I am keeping them a surprise for you all!!  I can not wait to show you what all we are going to be doing!

Soon, my friends...soon!

Chickens are Here

Chicks!!

Farm Life Noobs

Tomorrow is Chicken Day

Chicken Count Down

Chickens Chickens Chickens

Comments