More With Thieves Household Cleaner

Just a quick update, regarding the awesome of the Thieves Household Cleaner.

I am quickly running out of dishwasher detergent.  We have been using natural cleaners, vinegar and baking soda, in our home for 7 years but haven't used anything "natural" in the dishwasher.  Mostly it's because I'm cheap.  Just can't pay almost a dollar per load on natural detergent.

I've researched DIY dishwasher detergents but no one seems to be very excited about the recipe they have.  Plus, I can not stand and etched glass.  The feel of a glass that has been etched by dishwasher detergent makes me cringe like I was scratching my nails across a chalk board.  This is what I am afraid will happen to my glasses if I use DIY dishwasher detergent.  Also, they can be hard on the machine itself.

I really really really really REALLY don't want anything to happen to Daisy, my dishwasher.

Tonight, I tried the Thieves Household Cleaner as an alternative to a detergent.  The directions say to use a cap full but again, I am cheap.  I used 1 teaspoon, which is just over half a cap full.  Well, everything came out very clean.  I wasn't expecting how lovely they turned out.  The plates were all clean without any residue.  The glasses, are they spotless, no.  But they weren't spotless with regular detergent either.  (We use vinegar as a rinse aid.)  They didn't feel etched either but etching takes time, so only time will tell.  The bowls felt smooth.  Even my 11 year old mentioned it.  I did not wash any pots or pans.

The best part, other than Non-Toxic...and it smells great...and it work...and Daisy seems to like it?  Money!  It's not going to cost me any more to switch to a non-toxic cleaner vs. what I'm using now.

Dishwasher detergent has gone up like crazy at my discount grocery store.  What was once $11 for 75 loads is now $23 for 80 loads.  (I bet they didn't know I was watching.)  If I can keep to the 1 teaspoon per load, (I might use more for heavier loads) I'll get 85 loads for $25.

It's a bit more per load, $0.294 for the Thieves Household Cleaner vs. $0.288 per load from the store.  (Roughly.)A smidgen more cost, less than a cent per load, but with a bunch of benefits.

I'll update here if there is any etching of the glasses or if something tragic happens to Daisy.

Update...June 14th.

The Thieves Household cleaner it having a tough time with Peanut Butter and the cutlery isn't as nice as I'd like it.  I'm going to try pre-soaking all my cutlery before washing them in the dishwasher to see if that will help.  

Comments